The template I used originally was the Hemingway template. I liked the way the page banner title faded to show the banner. It worked well with the EdTech@BoiseState graphic. After using the Hemingway template for a few months I decided to switch templates. The fading title was nice, but the top image was too big. It required too much scrolling to view content. It also made it difficult to see if the page had changed without scrolling to see what changed under the banner. I am now using the Expound template, which is also free.
Editing this page looks like it will be noticeably different than editing the Dot Net Nuke web site we have at school. It should be interesting learning the differences.
This page includes posts, not articles. Learning the difference between posts and pages was easy. Keeping track of which is which takes some getting used to. All in all, this is a fun tool to use. It could be very useful in the classroom context, particularly for teachers who have no other access to post classroom information.
I have now used Edmodo, Moodle, and WordPress. Of the three, WordPress appears to have more flexibility in the appearance of the site. Classroom Edmodo pages I have seen are cluttered, a roadblock for many students with learning disabilities and vision problems. I can see how a WordPress blog could get just as cluttered with too many widgets, just like a classroom bulletin board and wall. The bottom line is that teachers need to be aware of the target audience, and we need to understand that the target audience doesn’t know the site inside out like we do. We still have to keep our pages easy to navigate.